well i’ve been back from Japan for almost a week now, but wow i miss it so much. i think you really do find yourself when you go travelling, and Japan is definitely one of my favourite places in the world ^__^
anyways highlights list lets gooo
- Okinawa - it was so laid back! also, all the men were wearing floral/hawaiian print shirts - incredibly cute!
- Osaka - I met up with my childhood friend ;w; my oldest friend! as he put it ~ he was really kind to me and my friends and i miss him :(
- Nara - it was so lovely and quiet - we ate really good ramen and went sight-seeing - I also wore my Gorman raincoat woop
- Kyoto - GINKAKUJI GINKAKUJI was my highlight - i love the garden there ~ its so beautiful! also, Fushimi-Inari was pretty damn good - went through the 1000 gates and hopefully got some good luck :) the shaved ice felt really good after that trek
- still in Kyoto, but there was this really cute shop on the way to Kiyomizudera which sold hand-made porcelain objects, and they were all made by the shopkeeper’s daughter - incredible!
- Yuguwara - wow Onsen experience - incredible!!
- everything about Tokyo
Tokyo was seriously incredible, met up with old friends who I hadn’t seen in like 2 years!
the best day was when we went gallery hopping - we went to Hara Museum, and it was the first day their new exhibition opened, so we got to see the artists talk about their work - we probably weren’t meant to join that exclusive group, but we tagged along anyway - they were really kind!
then it was Mori Museum, which was on the 53rd floor of the Roppongi Hills Tower (i think) - the exhibition was curated based on the theme of children - so it covered childhood, adolescence and innocence - it was a very universal theme, and resonated with everyone, I’m sure! Standout artists were Yoshitomo Nara, Tracey Moffatt, Akino Kondoh, Won Seoung Won and Yamamoto Takayuki
Then to wind down, we went to the A-Z Cafe, which Yoshitomo Nara designed - the service and food was very good, the art was beautiful and it just had a wonderful vibe ~ (probably my favourite cafe I’ve ever been to *_*)
Other highlights would be shopping in Harajuku/Omote-Sando/Jingu-mae/Shibuya area - looking at used stores such as RagTag and finding designer stores by accident (all hail Comme des Garcons, Issey Miyake and Yohji Yamamoto)
21_21 design site, Pokemon Centre (both Osaka and Tokyo), and Cat Cafe are also worth a mention!
hahahaha, I’m already missing Japan :(